the Project study
The theatre opened in 1928 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places in Michigan. Built in the Italian Renaissance style, one ceiling was designed after the outer vestibule of St. Peter’s cathedral in Rome, according to Flint Journal files, while the interior walls recreate views of buildings that evoke old Italy. The structure includes not only the theater (stage, backstage, seating, storage, and lobby), but also a large basement area, meeting rooms, ballroom, and offices (some of which will remain occupied during construction).
Spence Brothers has been awarded the general trades package of this project, which has a total value of $21M. Structural improvements will consist of a new and deeper orchestra pit, several new elevators, and additional foundational support in the seating areas in front of the stage. Restoration work is also planned for the facility’s interior and exterior.
Uptown Reinvestment Corporation has partnered with the Flint Cultural Center Corporation to relaunch the theatre. Uptown is handling the redevelopment and restoration.